Starye gody (Старые годы, The Bygone Years) was a monthly journal published in St. Petersburg from 1907 to 1916 for readers interested in art and antiquities. The journal published material on art history and architecture, presented private and public collections, covered domestic and international cultural events, and provided information on auctions and private art sales in Russia and abroad with catalogues, prices, and museum guides. Starye gody was noted for its handsome design and high-quality illustrations. Contributing artists included Benois, Vereshchagin, Vrangel and Rerikh. Much of the journal’s attention was devoted to the preservation of the artistic and antique legacy of St. Petersburg and Russia, and it played an important role in art preservation by printing reproductions of art from earlier periods, primarily Russian art of the 18th and early 19th centuries.
The Starye Gody Digital Archive includes all obtainable issues of the journal from 1907-1916 and offers scholars the most comprehensive collection available for this title. The archive features full page-level digitization, complete original graphics, fully-searchable text, and is cross-searchable with numerous other East View digital resources.
Note: Starye gody was written in the Old Russian orthography used at the time, which included the letters І, Ѣ, Ѳ and Ѵ. These letters were later eliminated from the Russian alphabet during the orthographic reform of 1918. To facilitate full-text searching of this journal, East View offers an on-screen Old Russian virtual keyboard. This virtual keyboard allows users to enter words containing pre-reform Russian letters (e.g. “сѵнодъ” and “дѣтство”).