China Art Digital Library
- Archive: 1981-2020
- Language: Chinese content with English, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese interfaces
- Number of Images: over 780,000
- Updates: Continuous
- Format: PDF images
- Producer: Tongfang Knowledge Network Ltd.
- Platform: CNKI (TKN)
About China Art Digital Library
CADT includes more than 400 albums in the field of painting, calligraphy, photography, sculpture and folk art, nearly 780,000 art images and nearly 720,000 supporting research documents.
- Paintings: 288 titles (Chinese painting, oil painting, printmaking, lacquer painting, gouache painting, etc.)
- Calligraphy/Seal Cutting: 114 titles (stele, calligraphy, seal carving , etc.)
- Sculpture: 18 titles (brick sculpture, wood sculpture, clay sculpture, ceramic sculpture, bamboo sculpture, etc.)
- Photography: 73 titles (landscape, portrait, custom, still life, etc.)
- Folk art: 92 titles (ceramics, paper-cut, embroidery, shadow play, etc.)
- Comprehensive Works: 78 titles (Dunhuang-related works, etc.)
Features and Functions
- In-depth information: Includes artists’ information, techniques, history background, theory research and so on.
- Continuous collection of information on Chinese art exhibitions and international Chinese exhibitions.
- “Featured Series” section focuses on masters’ works and themed collections.
- Related images and texts: Use the “Images + Literatures” feature to reference and link to relevant content.
- Integration of picture and theory research: CADT combines image data (style, expression, interpreations, etc.) with academic literature. By means of the “artists + works + research” tool, users gain a more comprehensive understanding of the performance content, artistic characteristics and even historical background of the works while enriching learning in cultural studies, history, religion, and social sciences.
- Search and navigation: The platform allows for basic and advanced search, and includes classification navigation. Users can browse collections by classification, publisher and publication date, and individual albums can be browsed by pinyin, stroke, and subject index.
- HD and full-screen display: CADT provides HD and full-screen display, including image rotation and scaling. Image quality ranges from 300-600dpi, with images restored using CNKI-developed image processing technology.
- Downloads: Due to copyright protection, the platform does not provide image downloads, but users are able to download PDFs of the entire album.
Note: China Art Digital Library is not cross-searchable with other CNKI databases but does include links to literature found in CAJ and CDMD, allowing CAJ and CDMD subscribers to seamlessly download relevant full-text articles.