Are you interested in being an integral part of a fascinating and rapidly growing
international business? If you have an aptitude for foreign languages and cultures,
and a strong understanding of the global information economy, we want to talk to
you! We're East View Information Services, Inc., the world's premier supplier of
foreign language publications and services of all kinds to library, governmental,
and other institutional customers.
East View is a leading provider of native and translated foreign language information
products and services, including Russian, Chinese, Arabic and Ukrainian databases,
print periodicals, books and microforms. East View serves all geographies and many
market segments, including academic institutions, government organizations, corporations
and public and federal libraries.
East View Press, Director of Publishing
East View Press serves as the publishing division for the East View Companies, which are comprised of East View Information
Services, East View Geospatial, East View Map Link, and Longitude Books and Maps. East View is headquartered in Minneapolis,
USA, with offices in Russia and Ukraine.
The mission of East View Companies is to bring uncommon information from extraordinary places to academic, corporate, legal
and government information professionals throughout the world.
East View Press takes this mission a step further, utilizing East View’s extensive collection of key vernacular-language
resources from countries from all over the world to publish research material as books, journals, archival guides, industry
reports and databases. Our products focus on crucial issues of international relations, public policy, military and security
studies, geography, history and culture, especially as they relate to Eastern Europe, Asia and the Middle East. The mission
of East View Press is to make these valuable materials accessible to the widest possible audience by way of thoughtful content
selection, careful translation into English, and creative presentation.
The Director of East View Press will carry out this mission through the careful management and growth of three key areas:
Product Development: Identify important source materials, either from existing East View holdings, or through partnerships
with other publishers or data providers; determine best options for product presentation – e.g., periodical, stand-alone book,
book series, supplemental or special report, guidebook, database, data feed, etc.; negotiate publication and translation rights.
Publication: Work with in-house and external resources to produce high-quality print, digital and online products in a timely
and cost-effective manner. Coordinate with East View product development, sales, and marketing teams to ensure successful product launch.
Dissemination: Ensure that all East View Press content is cataloged and indexed to the fullest extent possible and is well-represented
within all major academic search platforms and databases. Identify new distribution and sales channels, including mobile and pay-per-view
platforms. Develop the East View Press website to improve discoverability and grow e-commerce.
East View is seeking a Director of Publishing to manage the workload and workflow of East View Press. The Director of Publishing will oversee the timely,
cost effective and high-quality production of academic journals, books and database products published under the East View Press imprint. He/she will be
responsible for expanding the publishing activity of the department, including the publication of new titles, and the adoption of new publishing production
and distribution technologies. The Director of Publishing will manage a team of on-site staff and a network of contract translators, editors and designers.
The Director of Publishing will report to the Vice President of East View.
A successful candidate for the Director of Publishing will be a strong team leader with excellent interpersonal skills, highly organized, and able to work
independently. He/she will have excellent copy editing skills and strong experience in managing a publication process from concept to production and marketing.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Manage day-to-day publishing activity of East View Press, including scheduling, planning, writing, editing, quality assurance, layout and design, and
- Manage relationships with contractors and vendors to ensure timely delivery, product quality, and best pricing;
- Manage, review and revise (if necessary) existing editorial production procedures to reduce time and cost from manuscript submission to publication;
- Actively seek out new titles for publication and/or new publishing partnerships;
- Coordinate with Marketing Department to maintain and improve the East View Press website;
- Keep informed of current trends in design and publications, with attention to new production technologies and platforms;
- Conceive and implement subscription policies, rates, discounts and licensing strategies for all East View Press publications;
- Coordinate circulation management and subscription promotion with Operations, Sales, and Marketing departments;
- Work with East View CFO and Vice President to create annual cost and revenue budgets for East View Press;
- Submit weekly Department Performance Reports to East View Vice President;
- Conduct annual performance reviews for all full-time East View Press staff;
- Hire and train new staff, as necessary.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- 5-10 years of management or supervisory experience, preferably in scholarly publishing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related field. Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills. Experience writing and editing for scholarly publications highly desirable.
- Native-level proficiency in English; high-level proficiency in at least one other language highly desirable (particularly Russian or Chinese).
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in international relations, public policy, military and security, etc.
- High level of proficiency in MS Office applications. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs, especially InDesign and Photoshop, highly desirable.
- Strong project management experience that demonstrates a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple
projects simultaneously and to manage publishing process from concept to publication and promotion. Experience developing project budgets and staying within
- Experience supervising and coordinating work of freelance writers, editors, translators, designers, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of new and emerging communications and production technology for publications.
- Must be self-motivated, creative, comfortable with taking initiative and able to work against tight deadlines with minimal supervision. Must be able to
motivate, influence and direct the work of East View Press staff and freelancers.
- Experience with writing and executing publishing contracts.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with senior management, clients and
- Willingness and ability to travel to conferences or other events on behalf of East View, in both the United States and abroad.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive base salary
- Excellent benefits package including full medical/dental/LTD coverage
- Holidays and paid time off based on tenure
Please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.